Spring is here, and also is the time to start thinking about growing seeds. Everyone has their own method of growing seeds, but the one I have found the most successful is using pellets. I tend to get the best results quicker, and I find it much easier to transplant.
Getting started with pellets
What you will need:
- Pellets (such a Peat Pellets)
- Small plastic greenhouse (you can find these at stores like Home Depot , Canadian Tire, Dollarama – many even come with the pellets!)
- Put pellets in greenhouse and add water until they soak up water and enlarge
- Create a small hole in the middle of pellet, add seed and cover hole with soil
- Massage soil around the seed and ensure pellet fits well into its slot
- Cover greenhouse with supplied plastic, clear cover
- Put a well-lit location, such as a window sill
- Enjoy seeing your seeds grow!
Don’t over water. The greenhouse maintains moisture fairly well so there is no need for daily watering. Keep an eye on the soil and if the pellet starts to get dry, lightly water or spray with water.